ANTIOXIDANTS: THE BEAUTY ARMY
Did you know that antioxidants are one of the hardest working ingredients in the natural beauty industry? Think of them as this perfect little army that keeps things that age our skin at bay. Antioxidants have been perfectly trained by nature to scavenge free radicals, reduce inflammation and keep our skin looking healthy and youthful. Daily exposure to environmental toxins, stress, GMO foods and chemicals all have the ability to increase skin damaging free radicals. These free radicals disturb our skins DNA, eventually becoming responsible for fine lines, wrinkles, acne, dehydration, hyperpigmentation, reduced collagen and skin cancer.
Because our skin is exposed to so many different kinds of free radicals, the antioxidants our body produces naturally are just simply not enough. Lucky for us, there are so many different ways we can integrate antioxidant rich foods, herbs, teas and non-toxic beauty products into our daily regimen to help with that. There are many different kinds of antioxidants and they all have the ability to scavenge, fight and repair different things in different ways. The bigger the variety we integrate, the better our chances are of being protected. Let’s get to know why many dermatologist call antioxidants “the fountain of youth” a little better.
FOR THE INSIDE
Antioxidant rich foods, herbs and teas are a great addition to any skincare routine. Integrate things into your daily diet and lifestyle such as:
- Wild blueberries, which are armed with dozens of different kinds of antioxidants that can help resurrect youthful skin.
- Goji Berries, one of the highest in antioxidants helps improve skins tone and color.
- Dark Chocolate to help reduce dark spots and targets free radicals that dull skins natural glow.
- Lemon Water to hydrate skin, detox impurities from skins surface and restore a natural glow.
- Cranberries are rich in vitamin C which help boost collagen, tighten and firm skin naturally.
- Blackberries are rich in anthocyanin’s that help renew skin cells and reduce fine lines.
- Pecans contain both Vitamins C and E which help eliminate the free radicals responsible for premature aging.
- Elderberries keep skin radiant for longer periods of time while Elderflowers used as tea can help with breakouts and scars.
- Green Tea protects against free radicals responsible for acne, premature aging and skin cancer. While Matcha helps reduce inflammation, redness and corrects skin tone.
- Clove helps reduce skin sagginess while boosting radiance and naturally removing dead skin cells.
- Cinnamon is a powerhouse with blemishes and healing scar tissue.
- Turmeric helps naturally restore a youthful glow while reducing redness and inflammation.
- Supplements like Vitamin A, C, E, Zinc, Selenium and Coenzyme Q10 all help boost collagen, support antioxidant function and protect from free radicals.
FROM THE OUTSIDE
Some of the ingredients to look for in skincare products that are rich in antioxidants which help support all facets of skin health are:
- Vitamin A to Restore: often referred to as Retinol, Vitamin A helps support skins immune system by speeding up the healing process, preventing breakouts and maintaining a healthy dermis. Because Retinol can be harsh on skin, we love Kypris Moonlight Catalyst serum instead. This herbal alternative to retinoid formulas helps refine and renew your complexion without the irritation or peeling.
- Vitamin C to Brighten: this is known as the ultimate antioxidant in the beauty industry and often used to slow signs of aging, tighten skin and boost collagen production. This is also one of the many reasons we love Agent Nateur’s Holi (C), calcium and vitamin C duo. When blended with Holi (water), this antioxidant powerhouse has the ability to restore natural radiance and strengthen skin.
- Vitamin E to Moisturize: this vitamin is a beauty go-getter because it can do a little bit of everything. It helps with scars, fights inflammation and brings moisture back into every layer of skin tissue. Also helping build a strong shield against many different kinds of damaging free radicals. One of our favorites happens to be Kypris Antioxidant Dew which intelligently uses vitamin E and C synergistically to challenge free radicals and nourish skins protective barrier.