Meditation & Your Skin
While having a healthy diet and skincare routine can help achieve many beauty goals, in times of heightened levels of stress, stress adrenaline can rob skin of its youth. Studies show that stress produces a hormone called cortisol which affects the integrity of collagen peptides, leading to premature wrinkles and skin dehydration. Because cortisol blocks the supply of oxygenated blood to our skin surface, our skin is more likely to break out and become irritated and sensitive.
Now more than ever, people are realizing that caring for the mind, body and spirit has become crucial in feeling and looking good, both inside and out. Meditation can be an extremely successful tool as it helps cultivate clarity, calmness and mindfulness. Meditating a few minutes a day can increase oxygen delivered to the brain which can help reduce cortisol levels in the physical body. This healing energy not only works on the glow inside, but also helps restore it on the outside. Meditation is usually known as sitting or laying somewhere quiet, eyes closed, focused on breathing, while allowing the system to sort and sift through the present moment.
But the beauty of meditation is that it means different things to different people. Some find ending their evening in a warm bath ushers in calmness, while others enjoy in-home spa treatments as a form of mindfulness and self love. These precious few minutes can be a great way to escape our daily stress and focus on doing something positive and loving for ourselves. With so many people spending time at home lately, beauty rituals have become a great way to de-stress and focus on feeling good again.
- Facial Rollers help stimulate blood flow, boost collagen and lift sagging skin.
- Gua Sha helps sculpt the face, calm puffiness and correct complexion.
- Face Sculptors simulate deep massage which reduce inflammation, firm skin and rejuvenate appearance.
- Face Cupping promotes a healthy complexion, strengthens connective tissue and stimulates collagen production.
- Skin Brushing exfoliates the skin surface, eliminates toxins and promotes new skin growth.
Many of these can be done in the comfort of your own home, allowing you to personalize your own form of mind body spirit wellness. Other tools that can be integrated in both your beauty regimen and meditation ritual that we love are:
- Hot Stones massages to boost immunity, lower stress and stimulate tissue regeneration.
- Focusing on the crown chakra energy field which is responsible for our ability to "feel confident in our skin".
- Integrating crystals into the skin care routine. Rose Quartz helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Jade helps increase circulation. Amethyst oxygenates and increases moisture. While Sodalite corrects complexion.
- Positive mantras such as "My skin is beautiful and radiant" and "Everyday I send love to my skin" usher in healing positive energy and a strong sense of self love.
- Sound bowls utilize vibration and frequency to promote relaxation.
- Essential oils such as Frankincense for acne prone skin, Rose to calm and Lavender to cleanse.
With meditation, just a few minutes a day has the ability to introduce love back into your beauty routine and balance into your life so that you can fall in love with taking care of yourself. Mind, Body and Spirit.